Conscious Awareness Means We Agree to Live Focused and Present
12 Life Skills that can Change Your World
“What we hold dear can heal the world.” –Mark Nepo
Twelve-steps needn’t be limited to just substance-abuse recovery. Think about the number twelve in common cycles like the months in a year, weeks in a season or quantity in a dozen. This article is the eleventh in a twelve-part series highlighting top life-enhancing practices that can make us feel happier, healthier and more alive. By focusing our attention on these integrated positive life skills, we begin a synergistic practice that leads to permanent proficiency by building a useful toolbox for greater self-mastery. Each of the skills in this series is well defined in order to give clarity, direction and action challenges that can help the curious and willing reader cultivate greater wellbeing and flourishing in your daily life. People who consider themselves to be most satisfied with their lives recognize that by constantly challenging themselves to learn, grow and expand they feel more alive connected, and joyful in the world. Your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to open your heart and mind in order to soar! Read on…practice makes permanent…
Make Your Vision Reality
Lisa Cypers Kamen, MA
Do you have a vision for your life? If so, are you living that vision? Most people do have a vision for themselves and the way they wish to live their life. As we discussed in a previous blog, people have dreams and desires. These often fuel a person’s vision. Although people who have a concrete vision for themselves, in order to make the vision a reality, there needs to be a shift to view yourself as your ideal self. This means that you begin to envision yourself as the person you want to be. Now then, let’s be honest, life isn’t always easy. Sometimes it’s damn hard. We lose ourselves, and we lose our way. But, that doesn’t mean we can’t still live our vision.
“In order to carry a positive action we must develop here a positive vision.”
This quote speaks to me because I endeavor to live my own life with a positive vision and action. Striving towards a positive life empowers me in my work as an applied positive psychology and lifestyle management coach. Whenever I intend to begin anything new, I always check in with myself to ensure that I carry a positive attitude as I move forward. I focus in on my thoughts and feelings to make sure I remain positive and congruent in my actions.
Now then, here’s a question to consider: “How can you plan anything new, if you maintain a negative mindset? Imagine you want to start a new business. There is a big difference between saying this: “Yes, I want to do this, but it will probably fail, because so many new businesses do.” And saying this: “Yes, I want to do this, and I’m determined to make it a success. I know I can do this.”
Two completely different mindsets. What can one gain when we take the first perspective? But, the second perspective is not only positive but also action-oriented. This perspective empowers us. When we’re empowered, we live a healthy vision of the person we want to be. With a little work and some helpful tips, dramatic shifts can happen.
Here are some helpful tips:
1. SEE IT: The way to succeed and not struggle is to set a distinct and concrete vision for yourself. This way, you are working towards it and you already know who your ideal-self will eventually be. Don’t make the mistake of not thinking about it enough. Spend a long time considering who your ideal-self is.
– Write down your vision. Be clear about it. What do you want to happen in life? How do you see this happening? What are the steps you need to take? Are you willing to make them happen? What is your timing?
2. BELIEVE IT: The fact of the matter is: if you believe it, then you will have a sense of purpose, dedication, direction, and endurance.
– Write down 3-5 strategies you need in order to believe in your vision. Who can help you? What kind of support do you need? Do you need to outsource guidance or mentorship? How can this become a reality?
3. PURSUE IT: Time to put the last two steps into perspective. Rather than waiting another day, week, or month, start working towards your ideal-self. There is no gift greater than the present moment to begin. Do not put it off any longer because chances are if you are not living as the person you wish you were, then you are not very happy.
– Write down all the things – thoughts and feelings that you feel are holding you back. How can you overcome them? Build in one strategy each day, if you can. Meditate on this: “I am creating and living my dream.”
“The good life is a process, not a state of being. It is a direction not a destination”
With BIG gratitude and HUGE support,