“Purpose is the conscious choice of what, where, and how to make a positive contribution to our world. It is the theme, quality or passion we choose to center our lives around.” Richard Lieder
One of the most common questions people ask themselves is “What is my purpose in life?” Sure, people go through the motions every day with jobs, taking care of kids, chores, etc., but still, when all is quiet sometimes the question pops up in their thoughts. What is my purpose? What should I be doing? Why don’t I feel fulfilled?
It’s alright to think about purpose especially when it comes to spirituality and faith. If you feel like you have a purpose, you feel more fulfilled and happier. Now it’s not always easy to know what your primary purpose is in life and many people become frustrated when they don’t know. One thing that can help if you run into this problem is to understand that there are many purposes you can have while living your journey. You can love and serve your loved ones, reach out to those in need, and be your best each and every day. Those things alone will keep you quite busy!
If you are seeking a sense of purpose or spirituality, consider the following suggestions:
- Think about your passions. What are you passionate about? What talents do you have? Do you feel fulfilled when you do a certain thing? If so, chances are that your sense of purpose will come from engaging in such behavior. Use your passions and talents to add value to humanity. This way, you will feel more fulfilled and others will benefit as well.
- Contemplate. Take some time each day to just get quiet and contemplate life. Think about spirituality, faith, and your beliefs regarding such. Most faiths believe that Love is the core foundation of life, so if you are taking every day to love those around you abundantly, you are indeed living out your life’s purpose.
- Reach out in love. Those that feel most fulfilled in life tend to be the ones that reach out and help others in one way or another. Volunteer at a food pantry, soup kitchen, the Red Cross, boys and girls program, etc. There are plenty of ways to reach out to those who need love and care.
- Invest in spiritual growth. Many people who venture on a spiritual growth journey do find their sense of purpose that way. Begin to read religious or spiritual books. Attend various religious services to see which ones appeal to you. In doing so, you may find your journey toward feeling purposeful and fulfilled.
- Take up meditation or prayer. Meditation and prayer opens you up to receive some divine guidance and wisdom. Take some time each day to meditate or pray and simply enjoy the quietness. Listen. Breathe deeply, relax, and let your worries and fears go during that time. You’ll be surprised at how helpful this can be when it comes to coming to know your sense of purpose in life.
Having a sense of purpose in life does feel great, but don’t get hung up if you can’t narrow your purpose down to just one thing. Not everyone has one distinct purpose, but everyone does have the purpose of being the best person they can be and loving those around them wholeheartedly. If you spend your life only doing that, you are doing a great service to humanity!
MAKE A LIST OF YOUR TALENTS AND WHAT THINGS THAT YOU DO THAT MAKE YOU FEEL ALIVE AND HAPPY.
IF YOU ARE NOT CURRENTLY DOING SOMETHING WITH THOSE TALENTS AND PASSION, WRITE DOWN HOW YOU CAN INCORPORATE MORE OF THAT INTO YOUR LIFE.
Internationally recognized Positive Psychology Coach Lisa Cypers Kamen is the Founder of HarvestingHappiness.com, Director of 501 (C)(3) nonprofit Harvesting Happiness for Heroes (HH4Heroes.org), and Host of weekly Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio.
Currently living in Los Angeles, California, Lisa Cypers Kamen is the mother of two active children. She is philanthropically dedicated to the success of various charities related to children and military issues.