Honesty is such an important trait to have, as the ability to tell the truth no matter what the consequences are is admirable. Lies hurt other people and ultimately yourself, so making a commitment to tell the truth is priceless.
Along with honesty, authenticity and genuineness are important. People want friends and partners who are authentic, which really just means real. There is too many people wearing fake smiles and telling people either lies or what they want to hear rather than being responsible to tell the truth.
If you happen to know someone who is revered by many people, chances are that person is genuine. He or she lives life from a heart of love and gratitude. It’s not always easy to live as such, but it is possible. You have to really make a commitment to such traits though because times will come when lying seems like it will save you from trouble or hurting someone else’s feelings. Go against the grain and commit to honesty, authenticity, and genuineness.
Here are some ways you can do so:
- Stop telling little white lies. Even a little white lie is still a lie. You have to make a conscious decision to stop telling them regardless of consequences or how you might feel.
- Apologize right away. Let’s say you trip up and tell your friend you didn’t answer your phone because you were out with friends. You lied and hopefully your conscious is bothering you about it. Do the right thing. Call him back and tell him the truth. Apologize sincerely and do something nice for him.
- Keep a lie tally. Every time you catch yourself telling a lie, write it down. Keep tabs on your lying behavior and do your best to shorten that list down to zero.
- Stop operating on ego. Your ego constantly wants attention. Do you do things to impress people? Put on a show? Check your motives when doing things and do your best to stop doing things with ulterior motives. You are going for authenticity here!
- Be real. What I mean by being real is to share your true feeling with people instead of stuffing them or pretending you’re happy when you’re really not. Be honest with yourself and others.
- Journal. Keep a journal of your life and be as authentic and honest as you can as you record your life. See if what you write in your journal is how you present yourself out and about. Do you write honestly, yet when talking to others put on a mask and pretend you are someone different? It is interesting to keep a journal for years and years and go back through it to see how you have changed over the years.
“Above all, don’t lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.” ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky
The world needs people who are honest, authentic, and genuine. Are you up for the challenge? Are you ready to lay down your ego and live life purposefully allowing such wonderful qualities to be your pillars? Yes, please do.