“A thing of beauty is a joy forever.” John Keats
Have you ever witnessed a scenic view so beautiful that it brought tears to your eyes? Or perhaps you’ve listened to a song whose beauty overwhelmed you. Has the beauty of something ever taken your breath away? The ability to see beauty in everyday things is quite a privilege. To be mindful of what is in front of you right now and really see its amazing beauty is something that every person ought to strive for.
If you’re not careful and rush right through your days, you might miss beautiful things right in front of you. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying about take time to smell the roses. What this means is that there is so much beauty right in front of us on a daily basis and if we aren’t mindful to appreciate beauty and excellence, we are missing out on so much.
Here are some great tips for you to come to a place where your appreciation of beauty and excellence is extremely high!
- Go to an art museum. Art can certainly inspire people due to its aesthetic value. You don’t have to be an art lover to appreciate its beauty either. Simply go to an art museum on occasion and take a look at the masterpieces artists have created for the world. Appreciate the unique beauty in each art piece. You will most likely feel a great sense of appreciation upon leaving the museum and perhaps a good bit of inspiration will overtake you as well.
- As you are out walking, appreciate the beauty. Instead of just walking with a thousand thoughts running through your mind, be mindful of what you see in your surroundings. Keep your eyes peeled for beautiful things like birds, children laughing and playing, lovers walking hand in hand, flowers, or just about anything. You never know what beauty and excellence you will see while out walking!
- Appreciate the beauty in music. Head out to see some live music and allow the beauty of it to move you. You can also listen to beautiful music at home, in the car, or just about anywhere. If you are in need of a new genre to listen to, ask your friends or family what they are listening to. Music, like art, is a beautiful creation of the musician’s creative talent, so do your best to appreciate the beauty in each song you hear.
- Learn what beauty inspires you. If you find that the beauty of the sunrise inspires you for days, make time to see the sunrise regularly. Or if you feel most at peace and fulfilled when you listen to Mozart with headphones while lying in bed at night, be sure to take time to do this often. Find out what beauty inspires you and engage with it regularly for a happier life.
- Start journaling. Journaling is not only therapeutic, but writing down things that move you can help you learn to appreciate the beauty and excellence of certain things you encounter throughout the day.
The world is full of beauty and excellence. Don’t forget to slow down and take time to actually acknowledge and revel in it!
WHAT ARE TWO THINGS THAT YOU BELIEVE TO BE ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL?
WHEN IS THE LAST TIME YOU TOOK TIME TO REVEL IN THAT BEAUTY?
GO AHEAD AND TAKE TIME TO DO THAT ASAP!
Internationally recognized Positive Psychology Coach Lisa Cypers Kamen is the Founder of HarvestingHappiness.com, Director of 501 (C)(3) nonprofit Harvesting Happiness for Heroes (HH4Heroes.org), and Host of weekly Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio.
Currently living in Los Angeles, California, Lisa Cypers Kamen is the mother of two active children. She is philanthropically dedicated to the success of various charities related to children and military issues.