Leadership is an important trait because those that can lead others effectively can accomplish wonderfully valuable accomplishments. Positive leadership is the foundation for successful endeavors all the way from the family unit to an entire country.
Do you see yourself as having good leadership skills? Are you in charge of a group of people? Not everyone feels that they are leaders and this is alright, but you can still embrace leadership characteristics in your life. Even if you simply lead your family, you are still an important leader.
Effective leaders have qualities like compassion, assertiveness, intelligence, and flexibility. Research shows that exceptional leaders who possess traits such as passion and positivity have better success than those that don’t.
If you would like to become a better leader, follow these tips and strategies in order to develop your leadership skills.
- Organize a get together for your friends or family. Taking lead in a simple way like this introduces you to the concept of leadership. In order to lead, you must be able to organize and follow through. Create a group dinner or get together with those you know and see how you enjoy the process.
- Organize some sort of group. If you are a student, organize a book club, study, or volunteer group to gain some leadership skills. You will find out what your strengths and weaknesses are when you do such and be able to work on the weak areas. You might find that you love being a leader or you might decide that you are more of a follower.
- Be a role model. Even if you don’t necessarily feel like you want to be a leader, you can still lead by being a good role model no matter what. If you’re a student, be a good role model by being responsible for your grades, treating others with respect, standing up for those who are wronged, and believing in yourself. The world needs more good role models for sure! Step up to the plate.
- Do as you say. Too many people talk the talk but do not walk the walk. Leaders, and everyone for that matter, ought to make a commitment to do what they say. In other words, if you say you are going to do something, DO IT! Being true to your word is a valuable characteristic and it lets people know that you can be trusted. Has anyone ever promised you something and didn’t follow through? Did you lose a bit of trust when they bailed? Probably so. Do your best not to be that kind of person.
- Learn about leadership principles. Not every great leader is born a great leader. In fact, many well-known leaders started out as regular Joe’s. They became great leaders as they made a commitment to learn about leadership principles and follow through with what they learned. They develop organizational and social skills. They go to seminars and workshops. They become experts in their fields. Take some time to study other great leaders and leadership skills and you’ll hone your own leadership skills.
The world needs some excellent and honorable leaders, whether in the home, neighborhood, schools, employment, and the country. Do you want to become a better leader? Take some time to evaluate where you are now. Do you lead your family honorably? Are you taking your leadership role at work seriously? Have you put off becoming a leader out of fear?
MAKE A LIST OF THE WAYS YOU CAN BECOME A BETTER LEADER.
TAKE ONE OF THOSE WAYS AND MAKE PLANS TODAY TO FOLLOW THROUGH WITH IT. LET OTHERS KNOW YOU ARE DOING THIS!
Internationally recognized Positive Psychology Coach Lisa Cypers Kamen is the Founder of HarvestingHappiness.com, Director of 501 (C)(3) nonprofit Harvesting Happiness for Heroes (HH4Heroes.org), and Host of weekly Harvesting Happiness Talk Radio.
Currently living in Los Angeles, California, Lisa Cypers Kamen is the mother of two active children. She is philanthropically dedicated to the success of various charities related to children and military issues.